Friday, March 13, 2009

The birth of the Sciatica Diary

I joined the sciatica club in December 2008 with a fall on a snowy street. The impact forced the squishy disc between my L4 and L5 vertebrae to ooze out, pinching the root of my sciatic nerve, which runs across the buttocks and down the leg. The nerve is not taking it well. Sometimes screaming, sometimes whimpering, it is rarely silent. The spine injury is known as a herniated disc, and the pain is called sciatica.

Sciatica is a real pain in the ass. Seriously. For me, it’s concentrated on a small muscle in the right buttock, the piriformis, and radiates down the hip and outer thigh, occasionally reaching the calf and foot. Others may experience weakness, numbness, and loss of bowel and bladder control.

If you are a member of the club, I’m sorry, but I hope the information in this blog will help you. I invite your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment